Central Park hoodie finally

I try to keep only one drawer set aside for all the WIPs that I’m bored with and are hibernating, but it has been crammed full for a while and I’ve started using a big paper bag as an extension… So in a moment of madness I tipped the drawer out last weekend and went through it. Good grief, what a weird bunch of crap. A lot of it went in the Frog Pond, which is yet another almost full drawer that I have to get around to sorting out some time.

2015/05/img_3563.jpg
Yeah, no, I’m not going to show inside. Too many explanations required…like yes, I do actually have a good reason for knitting a chapstick cover in the shape of a penis…

But I did discover an almost finished Central Park Hoodie. Why did I stop knitting this? I only had a tiny part of an arm cap, the hood and the front band to go. It’s been languishing in that drawer now, according to my Ravelry project page, for well over 2 years. I think what happened is I discovered top-down and seamless knitting and that was that.

2015/05/img_3556.jpg

2015/05/img_3557.jpg
It’s funny how your tastes change over time. This just doesn’t do it for me anymore, too chunky, WAY too beige, and the cables are a little boring. And it is far from my best knitting. But I was determined to clear some of these old projects, so I finished it off over the last couple of days, quickly, roughly, but that’s how I roll when I don’t love something. It turned out a reasonably nice chunky hoodie, quite weighty and very warm.

2015/05/img_3559.jpg
The yarn was another of those giant balls of acrylic/wool blends. Cheap, and they come in great colours. This one was DY Choice Aran with Wool, and I remember the colour was called Oatmeal. I like the wooden buttons the best, I recycled them from an op shop jacket.

2015/05/img_3558.jpg
Mods: The sleeves, I notice, are two inches longer than the pattern called for. I must have been accounting for my monkey arms. Because I have broad shoulders, chunky set in sleeves can look a bit much on me, so I had stopped the cables just before the top of the sleeves to minimise bulk. Didn’t work. Still look like a footballer in shoulder pads. The rest of it fits nicely though.

2015/05/img_3561.jpg
I added an inch to the length of the hood, and probably could have added another one. I also bound off the hood with a three needle bind off, then picked up all 300 sts for the front band at once, instead of in two parts and then seaming. Three needle bind off rocks!

I do still work the occasional flat piece but I haven’t for a little while now, and to be honest I didn’t enjoy this. I forgot how much seaming sucks. Urgh. Oh, and purling. Purling sucks too. I really like circular knitting. A lot. 🙂

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Central Park hoodie finally

    • Thanks, feels good to clear the drawer! 🙂 …(the cover was a special request, I swear…I soon learnt never to let friends who can’t knit browse the ‘mature content’ section on ravelry…:))

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s